We are now adding the eye sockets and another right finger in Issue 10! It will be another long two months until the next shipment.
With only two skull pieces, we are going to quickly complete Issue 9!
The right hand starts to take shape with the palm and another finger in Issue 8!
A couple of arm joints and the jaw motor bracket are installed in Issue 7!
If you signed up for the subscription-based version of the Hachette 1:2 scale Terminator T-800 model build, you will receive four FREE gifts along the way. The first gift was the Toolkit. This time, we get a Collector’s Binder to store the magazine in.
Unlike other partworks I am building (which use plastic pins), this one has a nice two-ring metal clasp system inside:
These simply pop open and you can slide the matching staple of each magazine over them. So easy!
The next FREE gift should be the Skull Keyring arriving with my fifth shipment.
We only get the lower jaw and teeth in this issue, and it is time to do some modifications in Issue 6!
As a lot of other builders have discovered while building the Hachette 1:8 scale Terminator T-800, the gum lines of the jaws of this build are not quite right. On almost every Terminator we have seen, there are indentations at the root of each tooth. Just a short time ago, I was at Paramount Studios in Los Angeles and they had a full-size Terminator endoskeleton on display in the tour lounge. I didn’t have a lot of time, and I only had my phone with me, but I was able to snap a quick picture of the mouth:
Hachette did not include these indentations in their design, but luckily, I think we can fix that. Since I had an extra Issue 1 laying around, I decided I would use the extra Chrome Eye and Nasal Sockets (faceplate) in it to test a couple of different methods for achieving this look.
Starting with the Upper Jaw, I put clear tape just above the teeth and marked a line between each tooth:
I then removed the Faceplate and turned it over. My first method was to use a conical grinding tip on my Dremel and center the wheel between the marks of one of the front teeth. It was not that simple to keep the bit where I wanted it:
For the second method, I used a couple of needle files I bought from Amazon. Using the next tooth over, I started with the half-round chisel, then deepened the center of the groove a little with a round chisel:
Every so often I would put the Faceplate back on to see how it looked and continued making minor adjustments until I was satisfied with the results. The image below is the completed test. The filed groove is on the left, the Dremel groove is on the right:
The filed groove was a little irregular, but I liked it better as it added a little imperfection to the bone structure. With the faceplate re-installed, this is what my test faceplate looked like (Dremel on the left, needle files on the right):
The Real Thing
With my test complete, I made some adjustments to the process for the real faceplate. First, I marked the center of each tooth instead of between each tooth so I could align the tools better:
Once again, I removed the faceplate and turned it over. I only used the Dremel to get the grooves started so the needle files would not skip around:
Then, using a combination of round and half-round chisel files, I slowly ground the metal down. I angled the files towards the center of the head as if I was trying to poke each tooth. After a few minutes of work and checking fitment, this is what I ended up with:
The grooves do not need to be that deep, so it didn’t take much effort to produce the final gum line shown below:
I used the same process on the Lower Jaw from Issue 6. Again, I started with tiny pilot marks using the Dremel:
Then, I carefully filed the grooves a little deeper and shaped them with the needle files. These lower grooves should be shallower than the grooves in the upper jaw:
After a little smoothing, I was done. And, once I finished Issue 6, I was able to piece the skull together to see if my work paid off. I think it did!
Stepping away from the arm and back to skull for Issue 5!
We march on with even more upper right arm components in Issue 4!
After a couple of months, we are ready to continue our T-800 build with a finger and part of the arm in Issue 3!